(I couldn’t call this page, “APRS Notes for Dummies,” because someone else owns the “for Dummies” trademark.)
North American APRS Frequency
- 144.390 MHz
- 445.925 MHz (maybe, in some places)
What SSID should I use? (SSID is the number that follows your call sign. e.g. K4KPK-1.)
- Fixed home station: 0 (same as no SSID)
- Cell phone pseudo APRS: 5
- HT: 7
- Mobile in a car: 9
What path should I use? I use my HT for SOTA. I use my cell phone in the car, generally in the city. I don’t turn on my HT until I hit the trail. Therefore, my HT gets used where coverage is sparse and my cell gets used where coverage is dense.
- On cell phone: WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
- On HT: WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
- On fixed station: Find out the real node name of the nearest (always-on) node. Use that.
- On cell phone (in the car - on car power): 2 minutes.
- On HT (hiking - need to save battery): 7 minutes
These are twice the actual rate I’d like to beacon because I assume that only alternate beacons will get received.
- When you send a message, the recipient will send an ACK or a REJ. Since your message and the ACK/REJ are both best-effort delivery (like a TCP/IP network UDP message), either one might be lost if you don’t get the ACK.
How to Test for Internet Access
- Message to
WHO-IS, content =
- Or to
WHO-15if you pass through a stupid iGate.
- If you get data about W1AW, you reached the Internet.
- Or to
How Can My XYL See My Location On a Map?
- http://aprs.fi - search for your call sign
- To: EMAIL
- Content: First string in message text is email address followed by a space, then your message.
- Total length (including address) = 64 characters.
Create/Manage Email Alias
- To: EMAIL-2
- To create a shortcut:
aliasName space emailAddress*e.g. Content:
- To send email to the ‘me’ alias:
me This is a test.
- Ask for a list of all my shortcuts by sending:
- This will cause an email to be sent to email@example.com with all of my shortcuts. The L is case-insensitive.
- ???? OK. If I define an alias to firstname.lastname@example.org, how can I get that alias sent to my email address? I think the form is:
destinationAlias space command
- So if I’ve defined xyl as an alias for email@example.com:
me Lsends the full list of addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org and Content:
xyl Lsends the list of aliases to email@example.com.
- I wonder what would happen with Content:
- To remove the “me” shortcut, I would send