The second annual Atlanta SOTA Seminar will take place on June 9 and 11.
The seminar is designed to help aspiring SOTA activators and chasers get started. On June 9, we will hold an online training session from 7:30 to 9:30 to prepare and plan for our activation. On June 11, we will activate Black Mountain W4G/NG-022. The training is open to hams interested in activating (operating from the summit) and chasing (contacting activators from the comfort of the shack).
- How to register for SOTA
- How to post an activation alert
- How to plan an activation
- Collecting your SOTA points
- The typical SOTA QSO
- Tracking your SOTA progress
- What to pack
- Setting up and tearing down
- The training call is open to all ham radio operators, whether you are interested in activating or chasing.
- If you want to attend the training call but not the field trip, that is OK.
- Activators: You must be able to hike about a mile up-hill. (We’ll go slowly!)
- If you are handicapped, please contact the seminar organizer. We will arrange an accessible activation at another summit.
- You must be able carry your own supplies for a half-day outdoors. (e.g. sunscreen, water, snack)
- You do NOT need to have a radio. Bring your own or share a mic/paddle with another seminar participant.
- You must be a licensed ham radio operator.
- You must have a computer with an internet connection. (We’re holding our training session via a Google Groups meeting.)
How to Register
(Expired. The event has past.)
See you on the summits! 73 DE K4KPK / Kevin
Where can I find out more?
- K4KPK’s site: http://k4kpk.com/content/sota-menu
- Email me (K4KPK). My email address is available via http://www.qrz.com/db/K4KPK.
Bio: K4KPK, Kevin Kleinfelter is Georgia’s first SOTA Mountain Goat. He has completed more than 175 activations.