These are summits I recommend for beginners (or just when you want a low-effort activation) in North Carolina.
- W4C/CM-001, Mt Mitchell
- All paved-road drive; short walk to summit on paved trail; observation deck. Note: I got hassled by a park clean-up guy, so set up out of the way and be sure to carry your license.
- W4C/CM-005, Black Balsam Knob
- In my opinion, this is the most beautiful summit in the southeast. If the weather is pretty, drop whatever you are doing and get up there.
- W4C/CM-036, Max Patch
- Short hike; view, view, and more view. This is one of my favorite summits.
- W4C/WM-001, Clingmans Dome
- All paved-road drive; short walk; observation deck on summit; Technician: should be possible to raise 4 VHF contacts from Knoxville; view.
- W4C/WM-003, Richland Balsam
- All paved-road drive; short walk. I don’t know why, but I really like the ‘feel’ of this summit.
- W4C/WM-004, Waterrock Knob
- All paved-road drive; short walk; restrooms at trailhead; view.
- W4C/WM-011, Huckleberry Knob
- All paved-road drive; easy trail to follow; view. This is one of my favorite summits.
- W4C/WM-042, Whiteside Mountain
- All paved-road drive; easy to follow trail; view.
- W4C/WM-055, Barnett Knob
- Easy walk; all paved-road drive; climbable fire tower on top.