Drive & Trail Guide - Wesser Bald - W4C/WM-058
- Plenty of spaces at 9:30 AM on a pretty November Saturday in 2020
- 3 spaces left at 1 PM on a pretty November Saturday in 2020
Drive Guide - Wesser Bald FROM Siler Bald (W4C/WM-024)
- Duration: 0:35
- Google Map:
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- Head NE on Wayah Rd (left, out of the parking lot driveway) and go 13.6
- You are heading away (farther west) from USFS-69.
- R on Otter Creek Rd (1365) and go 4.0.
- Note: Bear L at Vestal Cochran Rd at 1.3 to stay on Otter Creek Rd (1365)
- Turns to dirt at 2.7
- Park at timber-walled pull-out under high power lines
Drive Guide - Wesser Bald TO Atlanta
- Duration: 2:45 (it is 0:25 from Wesser Bald to NC-28)
- Google Map:
- Seasonal/Limited Access: There is a funtional gate on this road. It may be closed in bad weather.
- Head NE (continue the way you were driving when you arrived from Siler Bald) and go 8.1
- At 3.6 you’ll keep L on 1365, which is now called Tellico Rd.
- At 4.4, the road becomes paved
- At 7.9, keep L as Tellico Rd turns L and crosses river
- R on NC-28 S (unmarked T) and go 10.1
- S on Riverview/Depot St and go 2.2
- R on Wayah St at T and go 0.7
- S/L on Business US-441
- Follow Business/regular US-441 S as it turns for 13 miles
- S on US-23 S and go 9.3
- R on US-23 S and go 11
- R on US-23 S and go 40
- S on I-985 and go 23.7
- S on I-85 S and go 16.4
- I-285 W
- via abandoned road: 1.0 miles, 1:00 up; 0:30 DOWN.
- In 2020, I took it slow, with no other hills first. It was exhausting. 1:00 includes climbing the tower stairs.
- Allow an extra 5-10 minutes for setup/teardown, betause I’m timid at heights.
- via AT 1.4 miles, 0:45 down
- Navigation: You have two choices. Both depart to your left, facing the direction you drove in:
- Follow the AT north from the gap road for 1.4 miles to the tower.
- Follow the dirt road north from the gap for about the same. It is a steep climb with no level spots.
- The dirt road is 0.4 shorter. If you take the trail, watch for the short side trail to your R (to the tower) when you reach the summit.
- Trailhead altitude: about 3897
- Summit altitude: 4627
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 35.26791,-83.57247
- Summit: 35.2771,-83.5774
- Grid Square: EM85fg
- Hang antenna from tree:
- Space to guy mast:
- Cell coverage (2020): AT&T: Slow but worked.
- Unique features: Big 30’ tower/platform you can climb.