Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide - Stone Mtn W4G/CE-003
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.917, -84.3378): http://goo.gl/maps/mF3hd
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Year-round. All weather.
- I-285 East
- Exit 39B - US-78 East. Go 8.0 miles.
- Exit 8 - Stone Mountain Park
- Pay at the gate to park, or buy an annual pass. Go 1.1.
- Gate is open 6 A.M. to midnight
- Right on Robert E. Lee Blvd. Go 1.0 to trail parking lot.
- Beware: Parking lot is often full. Arrive early.
- Note: Free parking exists in Stone Mountain Village, and you can follow the PATH trail from the police department into the park near the parking lot. (It is a flat walk!)
- Last McDonalds:
- Penultimate McDonalds:
- Duration: 1:00
- Follow the crowds up the obvious trail.
- There are bathrooms and water at both ends of the trail.
- Distance is 1.3 miles. Altitude gain is 825 feet. The last part is pretty steep, and is slippery when wet.
- Trailhead altitude: 1005’ @ trailhead parking lot
- Summit altitude: 1686’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 33.81076,-84.16213
- Hang antenna from tree: No suitable trees.
- Space to guy mast:
- You can’t guy a mast, but there are plenty of places to bungee the base of a mast.
- Take full advantage of the 75’ (vertical) activation zone in order to get out of the heavy pedestrian traffic.
- There’s a fence on the south side, near the trail, protecting rare flora. It could be used to support a vertical.
- I found a dwarf tree, a little north of the summit, and bungee corded a 31’ fiberglass mast to it.
- Cell coverage: Adequate.
- Unique features:
- Confederate carving on the face of the mountain.
- Suppose you have a less-mobile family member. You can put them on the tram at the bottom of the mountain, then you climb to the top and meet them there. Then they can observe you operating.
- How many summits will you operate from that have a snack bar and a movie?
- Pine Mountain
- Vineyard Mountain
- Kennesaw Mountain