Drive & Trail Guide - Satulah Mtn - W4C/WM-064
Drive Guide - Satulah Mountain from Atlanta)
- Duration: 2:20
- Google Maps: https://tinyurl.com/atl-highlands-parking2
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Paved. All weather.
- The URL route and these instructions tour the parking options in Highlands.
- It’s all one-way; circle to the right.
- Just before parking, you pass Bryson’s Food store on the R. Restrooms?
- I-285, to I-85 N, to I-985/GA-365 to Clayton GA.
- 7.7 miles past the Clayton McDonalds, R on NC-246/NC-106
- R on Highlands Plaza in Highlands. (Stone-pillar sign “Highlands Plaza” on R.)
- Pass Bryson’s Food Store on your Right. Possible restrooms.
- L on NC-28
- NC-28 makes a 90-degree left
- Immediate R on Spring St is your first opportunity to park
- Circle to your right driving past Spring when you complete the circle, and R on Church St.
- You may find parking on Spring, South, or Church. S
- Nominal trailhead: 35.0496, -83.19662 on South St between Satulah Rd and S 5th St.
- McDonald’s on Level Grove Rd in Cornelia, JUST before US-441 merges into GA-365. Slow service in the afternoon and maybe during on-the-way-to-work.
- Plan-B: McDonald’s in Clayton has slow service in the morning.
- If McDonald’s doesn’t work, maybe something at Bryson’s Grocery, in Highlands?
- Duration: 1.5 miles, 1:00 up; 0:35 down. 665’ climb
- From the swimming pool on South St, head WNW to Satulah Rd
- L on Satulah Rd and go about a half mile
- Satulah Rd goes mostly south until it turns east at 35.0447, -83.1982 (Old Wallhala Rd). At the first intersection after Old Wallhala, go L onto Worley Rd.
- Follow Worley about a half mile to the cul-de-sac at 35.0405, -83.1946
- Follow GPS for short trail to summit. Pat says there are two trails that merge shortly. First, angle up to the ridge. You head about 400’ due south after you reach the ridge.
- Unshaded rock outcropping at the apex. Anwhere after you turn due south is clearly inside the zone and you have at least 3/4 of the way back to the cul-de-sac inside the zone.
- Trailhead altitude: 3853’ at 35.04974,-83.19708 on South St
- Summit altitude: 4518’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 35.0496, -83.19662
- Terminal cul-de-sac: 35.0404, -83.1945
- Summit: 35.0362, -83.1922
- Hang antenna from tree: ????
- Space to guy mast: ????
- Cell coverage: AT&T=Pat said yes in 2013, APRS=Pat said yes in 2013
- Yellow Mountain (W4C/WM-028) via Zeb Buchanan Rd or Hamburg Gap