SOTA Guide - Dyer Mtn, W4G/HC-009
Drive Guide - Dyer Mountain from Atlanta
- Duration: 2:00
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.917, -84.3378): https://goo.gl/maps/w8MSg9Uc33C2
- Seasonal/Limited Access: All weather, all seasons
- I-285 West
- I-75 North
- I-575 and GA-5 North
- Left on GA-5 at McDonalds in Blue Ridge. Go 3.6 miles.
- It is about 1:35 from Atlanta to here. It is about 0:35 from McDonalds to trailhead.
- Left on GA-2. Look for propane tanks on your left, as you reach the top of a hill. Go 9.9.
- Go straight ahead onto USFS-64.
- Google shows a left turn onto USFS-64. It is actually straight.
- There’s straight ahead (your route), a road 90 degrees to your right, and an acute-right road/trail.
- There’s a big sign here.
- Atlanta to this junction is about 2:15.
- Drive about 10 more minutes. Park using GPS for trailhead.
- Last McDonalds: Blue Ridge
- Penultimate McDonalds: Ellijay
- Poole’s Barbecue “Pig Hill” at 164 Craig Street, Ellijay. Closes at 7/8/8/6, Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.
- Pink Pig Barbecue at 824 Cherry Log St., Cherry Log, GA. Open Thursday-Sunday 11-9. VERY busy after church.
- Note: There’s a Barbecue place in Blue Ridge that has several billboards with directions telling you to turn at Wendy’s. The pulled pork there is dry and taste-free.
Drive Guide - Dyer Mountain from Dyer Cemetery Driveway
- Duration: 0:10, 1.7 miles
- Drive N on USFS-64 to trailhead. There’s a vertical burned out tree trunk at trailhead on left of road in 2014.
- Duration: 15 minutes. Nasty, brutish, and short.
- Navigation: Purely a GPS-based bushwhack. Thorns, brush, trees, deadfall.
- Trailhead altitude: 3245’ @ 34.88890, -84.51373
- Summit altitude: 3420’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- My trailhead: 34.88890, -84.51373
- Summit: 34.891, -84.5152
- Hang antenna from tree: Yes
- Space to guy mast: Yes, if you’re flexible.
- Cell coverage: Good signal.
- Unique features:
- Nice view through bare trees in winter. A fairly sharp, well-defined peak for Georgia.