SOTA Guide - Boteler Peak, W4C/WM-036
Drive Guide - Standing Indian to Boteler Peak
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.917, -84.3378):
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- Head back the way you came on the dirt road and go 5.8
- “Back the way you came” : If you are standing inside the hairpin turn, you’ll go clockwise.
- L on US-64 W and go 2.9
- Just before time to turn, see a short road stub on L.
- R on paved road just before “Entering Hiwassee River Basin” sign
- Immediate L on USFS-6236 and go 300’.
- As you turn L, you drive between a “77” post on the left and a USFS-6236 sign on R.
- Parking for 1 on L as road curves R.
- Narrow, brown metal post on L, marked “77”.
- Directions to Wildcat Mtn:
- If you just want to go home, go back the way you came in. Otherwise…
- R on US-64 W and go 15.5
- L on NC-69 S and go 3.5
- S on GA-515 W at state line and go 1.1
- R on GA-2/US-76 W and go 5.5
- L on Trackrock Gap Rd and go 3
- L on Trackrock Church Rd and go 3.2
- L on Town Creek School Rd and go 2.2
- R on GA-180 and go 1.5
- L on GA-348 E and go 6.9
- Duration: 3 miles (1.7 as the crow flies), 1500’ climb, 2:30
- Best map: National Geographic Trails Illustrated #785, Nantahala and Cullasaja Gorges,
- “West Side”, left edge, where US-64 sticks out
- This map calls Boteler Peak “Shooting Creek Bald”
- Blue blazes, dropping down into valley of Glade Creek.
- Trail starts with dirt road, just before a gravel road.
- The first part of trail follows a stream bed and then climbs steadily for the first mile.
- You’ll leave the blue blazed trail at “Side trail to summit” GPS.
- Trailhead altitude: ~3600’
- Summit altitude: 5010’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead (approx): 35.069568, -83.628873
- Side trail to summit: 35.068860, -83.654983
- Summit: 35.0686, -83.6587
- Summit: 35.0686,-83.6587
- Hang antenna from tree:
- Space to guy mast:
- Cell coverage:
- Unique features: