SOTA Guide - Blood Mountain, W4G/NG-004
Drive Guide - Blood Mountain (W4G/NG-004)
- Duration: 1:35 (based on experience)
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.917, -84.3378): https://tinyurl.com/blood-mtn8
- Seasonal/Limited Access: All seasons, all weather roads.
- N on GA-400 from I-285 for 47 miles
- L on US-19 N and follow for 26.2
- 0.5 past Walasi-Yi, L into Byron Herbert Reece Memorial Parking area (38 spaces)
- Parking demand may exceed space. 1:30 PM on Saturday, June 15, 2013, almost full. Noon on Saturday, October 4, 2014 full with cars waiting in line. 8 AM Saturday, Sept 29 2018, 6 spaces open.
- Last McDonalds: 35 Mountain Dr, Dahlonega GA. Slow service on weekends.
- Penultimate McDonalds: GA-400 at GA-53 (38 miles north of I-285)
- Dinner: Smokin’ Gold Barbecue - 59 East Main St, Dahlonega, GA.
- Duration: 2.2 miles. 2:10 up (2018); 1:55 up (2015); 1:20 down (2018); 1:30 down (2015); (1:35 down to Walasi-Yi)
- Follow obvious trail from parking area 0.7 miles (and 400’ up)
- R on AT and follow blazes for 1.5
- Water: Spigot under bay window on right side (facing the front door) of Walasi-Yi. Hiker use permitted. May be off in freezing weather.
- Trailhead altitude: 3025’
- Summit altitude: 4460’
- Grid Square: EM84ar
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Parking turn-off: 34.742, -83.921
- Trailhead: 34.74212, -83.92272
- Summit: 34.7398, -83.937
- Hang antenna from tree: Not on top of summit; possible within activation zone.
- Space to guy mast: Not on top of the summit; possible within activation zone.
- Cell coverage:
- 2013: Verizon SMS intermittent; AT&T SMS didn’t work despite 2-3 bars; no AT&T data. APRS worked well. KI4SVM reported AT&T, Verizon, and APRS success.
- 2014: Verizon SMS worked quickly on 2 of 2 uses
- Unique features:
- Oldest AT shelter at summit
- Walasi-Yi center near trailhead sells provisions
- The area is very popular. Don’t expect privacy.
- Levelland Mountain - Opposite direction on AT at Walasi-Yi
- Akin Mtn