SOTA Guide - Barnett Knob, W4C/WM-055
Drive Guide - Barnett Knob from Atlanta
Note: This looks to be just outside parkway land, on Cherokee territory.
- Duration: 2:50
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.917, -84.3378): https://goo.gl/maps/8ggQXCn7TCr
- WARNING: Google does not know that the Blue Ridge Parkway is limited access. When the parkway has an overpass over a BIA dirt road, Google may think it is an intersection. (E.g. BIA 413 a.k.a. Dobson Ridge Rd.) If the road is closed through Cherokee, follow US-19 east from Cherokee all the way to its intersection with the parkway (about a 15-minute detour).
- Note: There’s a river through Cherokee, NC. Google will route you up the east side of the river. 441 runs up the west side of the river. They are about the same at 7 AM, but if the tourists are out, 441 may be slooow.
- Seasonal/Limited Access: The Blue Ridge Parkway is closed in snowy weather. Check the BRP Closure Map.
- I-285 to I-85 North.
- I-985 and US-23 to Clayton.
- Follow US-441 from Clayton to Cherokee.
- Left on US-441 in Cherokee, to parallel the river and go 2.8.
- Right onto Blue Ridge Parkway and go 6.8.
- Look for a gated road to your right.
- Note: If you’re headed toward Cherokee, look for a gated road on your left at 35.52482,-83.22941
- BRP MM 462.5
Drive Guide - Barnett Knob from Bunches Bald
- Head back the way you came and go 0.1
- At the green shed there’s a 3-way fork plus a 90 degree left.
- 90 degree left goes into campground (past the shower building)
- Left fork is “option 2” above. It has a speed bump as of 2013.
- Middle fork is somewhat hidden and goes downhill. It is “option 1” above.
- Right fork goes up and to the right and leads who-knows-where.
- R onto Heintooga Ridge Rd and go 0.8 (if option 2) or 300 ft (if option 1).
- R on Blue Ridge Pky and go 4.1
- Park on dirt road to left at 35.52482,-83.22941
- BRP MM 462.5
- Duration: 0.6 miles; 0:16 up, 0:08 down (hurrying)
- Follow the dirt road to the fire tower and antenna towers at the top.
- Easy hike; easy navigation.
- Trailhead altitude: 4286
- Summit altitude: 4652
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Grid Square EM85jm
- Trailhead: 35.52482,-83.22941
- Summit: 35.52450,-83.23630
- Hang antenna from tree: Yes, just off the summit.
- Space to guy mast: Yes
- Cell coverage: AT&T:unknown; VZN=Yes; APRS:unknown
- Unique features: Fire tower and antenna towers on top
- Waterrock Knob, Bunches Bald