I want to program my KX3 to send “K4KPK TEST” in a loop, using CW. I’ve previously installed and configured the KX3 utility on my computer. (See these instructions for help with that.)
I’m using a Mac with OS X 10.8, not a Windows PC.
- Connect the cable.
- Start the utility.
- Make sure the KX3 is powered up.
- In the utility:
- Select the Port tab, press “Test Communications”, and dismiss the message box with the success message.
- Select the Configuration tab.
- Press “Edit CW Memories”.
- Wait several seconds, while the utility reads your current CW memories. When it is finished, the bottom of the window will say “Ready”.
K4KPK TESTin M1.
- Press “Save”
- To back-up your configuration to your computer, press the “Save KX3 Button” on the Configuration tab.
- Exit the utility
Except it sometimes doesn’t work. If you re-open the edit-CW-memories window, you’ll see that nothing got saved, or that only some lines got saved. To solve this, press tab an extra time. The Mac version of the utility has a bug and you have to tab out of a field in order for it to notice that you updated it.
Activating the Message
When you are ready to send this message from the KX3:
- Make sure you are tuned to the desired frequency.
- Make sure your power is set to the desired level.
- Make sure your mode is set to CW.
- Make sure your antenna is connected and tuned.
- Press the MSG button (on the left side of the KX3).
- If you want to send the message once, tap the message number (1, in this case). If you want to loop/repeat the message, hold the message number. To stop looping, hold MSG.