The second annual Atlanta SOTA Seminar will take place on June 9 and 11.
The seminar is designed to help aspiring SOTA activators and chasers get started. On June 9, we will hold an online training session from 7:30 to 9:30 to prepare and plan for our activation. On June 11, we will activate Black Mountain W4G/NG-022. The training is open to hams interested in activating (operating from the summit) and chasing (contacting activators from the comfort of the shack).
- How to register for SOTA
- How to post an activation alert
- How to plan an activation
- Collecting your SOTA points
- The typical SOTA QSO
- Tracking your SOTA progress
- What to pack
- Setting up and tearing down
- The training call is open to all ham radio operators, whether you are interested in activating or chasing.
- If you want to attend the training call but not the field trip, that is OK.
- Activators: You must be able to hike about a mile up-hill. (We’ll go slowly!)
- If you are handicapped, please contact the seminar organizer. We will arrange an accessible activation at another summit.
- You must be able carry your own supplies for a half-day outdoors. (e.g. sunscreen, water, snack)
- You do NOT need to have a radio. Bring your own or share a mic/paddle with another seminar participant.
- You must be a licensed ham radio operator.
- You must have a computer with an internet connection. (We’re holding our training session via a Google Groups meeting.)
How to Register
Email: seminar2016 [at] k4kpk.com no later than Sunday, June 5, 2016. If you do not want your email address shared with the other participants, please say so when you register.
See you on the summits! 73 DE K4KPK / Kevin
Where can I find out more?
- K4KPK’s site: http://k4kpk.com/content/sota-menu
- Email me (K4KPK). My email address is available via http://www.qrz.com/db/K4KPK.
Bio: K4KPK, Kevin Kleinfelter is Georgia’s first SOTA Mountain Goat. He has completed more than 175 activations.