Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide - Mt Pisgah
Drive Guide - Mt Pisgah from Green Knob
- Duration: 20 minutes (includes a stop for soft drink at the “country store”)
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Blue Ridge Parkway closed in winter
- Head East/North on BRP and go 6.7
- After passing long parking on L, bear R at Buck Spring (paved rd w/grass triangle). Go 0.1
- Drive through first parking to far end of 2nd parking (about 0.3)
Drive Guide - Mt Pisgah to Atlanta
- Duration: 3:35
- Google Maps URL ending at Ashford Dunwoody Rd and I-285 at 33.91998, -84.33898:
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- Head back to the parkway from the parking (about 0.4)
- L on BRP and go 35.8
- R on exit and go 0.5
- R on US-23 S and go 13
- Exit 81 for US-23 S and go 20.5
- Ramp to R for US-23 S and go 73
- I-985 S and go 24
- I-85 S and go 16
Drive Guide - Mt Pisgah from Atlanta
- Duration: 3:25, 177 miles
- Google Maps URL from Ashford Dunwoody Rd and I-285 at 33.91998, -84.33898:
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Blue Ridge Parkway closed in winter. KI4SVM says “often access from the side Hwy 215 is available… BRP’s infoline… is highly recommended - 828-298-0398.” Check the BRP Closure Map.
- I-285 E
- I-85 N and go 16.6
- I-985/GA-365 N and go 52
- US-441 N and go 44
- Merge w/US-441 bypass / US-64 E and go 20
- Ramp for 74 E and go 17.2
- Choice: Do you need McDonalds?
- Stay on 74 E another 3 miles & R on US-276 S
- After McDonalds, continue on US-276 S about 1.3
- L on US-276 S / Pigeon Rd
- Exit 98 (US-23 Business) to West Waynesville and go 0.2
- R on Hyatt Creek Rd and go 0.2
- L on S. Main St and go 2.1
- R on US-276 S
- On US-276 S leaving Bus-23 go 20.7. Note: US-276 is twisty/windy average 30 MPH.
- L on BRP access and go 0.2
- R on BRP and go 4.2
- R at grass triangle and go 0.3 through 1st lot and park in 2nd.
- Trailhead is at the far (north) end of the lot.
- Last McDonalds: 825 Russ Ave, Waynesville, NC (US-276 near US-23/US-74)
- Before that: Sylva, NC (a little off the route)
- Before that: 329 Franklin Plaza, Franklin, NC (poor service)
- Before that: Clayton, GA (busy on Saturday mornings)
- Before that: Cornelia, on Level Grove Rd (just BEFORE Cornelia)
Near the trailhead
- You turn off the parkway at MM 407.7
- Soft drinks are available at the “Country Store” at the north end of the Mt. Pisgah lodge parking lot.
- There is a long parking lot just south of your turn-off (and just north of the store). There are restrooms here.
- Duration: 1:10 up, 0:45 down. 1.2 miles. Slow going due to eroded trail with many large rocks. Tough on the knees.
- Navigation: Follow the trail off the end of the last parking.
- Trailhead altitude: about 4950’
- Summit altitude: 5721’
- Grid square: EM85ok
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 35.41863, -82.74795
- Summit: 35.4257, -82.7569
- Hang antenna from tree:
- Space to guy mast:
- Cell coverage: 2014: AT&T + SMS worked; 2017: 2017: AT&T had cell + data
- Unique features: TV antenna and observation platform on top
- 2016: S7 QRM (presumably from TV/radio transmitters or air conditioning) on 20 meters. (I operated from the grassy area accessible by passing through the tower.)