Levelland via Tesnatee: Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide
Drive Guide - Levelland/Tesnatee Gap from ATLANTA
- Duration: 1:45
- Google Maps URL from Ashford Dunwoody Rd and I-285 at 33.91998, -84.33898: https://goo.gl/maps/hHBHSgdjYtN2
- Seasonal/Limited Access: All seasons, paved roads, BUT Richard B Russell sometimes gets closed for repairs or ice. Check with GDOT. Plan an alternate.
- N on GA-400 and go 47 miles.
- At end of 400 (@ GA-60) go straight onto GA-115. Go 4.8
- GA-115 turns R. (About 60 minute drive to this turn.) Go 11.4.
- L on Tesnatee Gap Valley Rd. There’s a left turn lane. Go 2.8.
- Go straight onto McAfee Rd. (Tesnatee turns left.) Go 0.2
- L on US-129 N at T. (About 1:15 total drive time to this turn.) Go 0.8.
- R on GA-75A. Go 5.9.
- L on Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy (GA-348). (About 1:25 from trip start.) Go 7.0, passing Hogpen Gap trailhead.
- Continue 0.6 to Tesnatee Gap trailhead on L.
- Last McDonalds: GA-400 at GA-53.
- Dinner: 5 Guys in Home Depot shopping center, just south of GA-53, or there’s a barbecue joint with a pink pig across from the McDonalds at GA-53.
Drive Guide - Tesnatee Gap to Atlanta (partial)
- R out of the lot and go 7.6
- R on GA-75 Alt and go 5.9
- L on US-129 S and go 0.8
- R on McAfee Rd / Testatee Gap and go 3
- R on GA-115 S and go 11.5
- L on GA-115 S and go 4.6
- Straight onto GA-400 S
- Duration: 4.5 miles / ?? out, ?? back (very steep)
- West (nominal south) on AT.
- Trailhead altitude: 3150’ @ parking
- Summit altitude: 3900’ @ 34.7322,–83.903
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 34.726,-83.8476
- Optional extension: Hike from Tesnatee Gap to Wildcat Mtn
- Distance to trail junction for side trail is 0.7 miles east (nominal north), up 690’ and down 400’ (one way), with 0.4 more miles on side trail to summit.
- Side Trail to Wildcat Summit/Whitley Gap Shelter Trail: 34.7248,-83.841
- Wildcat Summit: 34.7174, -83.8382
- Hang antenna from tree: Yes
- Space to guy mast: Yes
- Cell coverage: AT&T and Verizon and APRS – all good
Scout out access to AT north of Hogpen Gap:
- L out of lot and go 1.8
- R on USFS-?. (Twin-track; acute R) and go 0.35
- About 1/2 way you will cross intermittent stream twice.
- Trailhead is on R, just prior to 3rd crossing of stream.
- Blood Mountain/Levelland Mountain. (South on 75A, R on US-129. 21 miles @ 27 minutes.)