Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide - High Rock
Drive Guide - High Rock from Toxaway Mtn
- Duration: 1:50, 86 miles
- Google Maps URL from 35.131222, -82.983638 to 35.9553,-82.5595: http://goo.gl/maps/qFJVW
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- Head downhill on Tower Rd and from the start of pavement go 1.8
- L on Tower Rd and go 0.4
- Acute R on Tower Rd and go 0.3
- L on Hickory Dr and go 1
- S on Black Oak Dr and go 0.2
- R on Black Oak Dr and go 0.1
- L on US-64 E and go 20.8
- L on US-64 E and go 3.9
- Gas, food, Radio Shack, grocery, McDonalds here.
- S on NC-280 E and go 16.1
- I-26 W and go 36.8
- Parts are called “Future I-26”
- Exit 3, and go R 200’ to the T.
- L on Flag Pond Rd paralleling I-26 and go 3.2 miles
- Trailhead is at I-26 underpass near the NC/TN state line.
- Park on the near side of I-26. Few opportunities to turn arond after it.
- Last McDonalds:
- Penultimate McDonalds:
- Duration: 1.8 miles, climb 600’, 1:10 up, 0:50 down (hurrying)
- Navigation: (You’ll see AT blazes alond the road as it crosses under I-26.)
- If you park in the paved lot just before I-26, you’ll follow the road as it crosses under I-26.
- Then turn L on a crazy steep paved road to the L.
- Turn L onto dirt trail toward a solar-powered UHF radio inside a fence.
- Trailhead altitude: ~3750 at 35.95240,-82.56085°
- Summit altitude: 4500 at 35.96440,-82.57800°
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Hang antenna from tree:
- Space to guy mast:
- Cell coverage:
- Unique features: