Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide
Drive Guide - Grassy Ridge Bald from Atlanta
- Duration: 4:45 (Google says it is 4:20. My 2015 experience is that you need 4:45 (plus any time for pit stops).
- Google Maps URL: https://goo.gl/maps/QKIHd
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Paved road all the way.
- I-285 to I-85 N
- In Greenville, SC: I-185 N and go 1.6
- Exit 15, US-25 N and go 39
- I-26 W and go 45
- Exit 9, US-19 N and go 10.7
- US-19E N and go 6.9 (last McDonalds is on this stretch)
- L on NC-197 and go 3
- R on Fork Mtn Rd and go 4.2
- L on NC-261 N and go 9.1
- Park at the state line, where gated road 1348 goes off to your left.
- Last McDonalds: 19E in Burnsville, NC; just before you turn L on NC-197.
- Penultimate McDonalds: Weaverville, NC; I-26 exit 19B.
Drive Guide - Grassy Ridge Bald from Knoxville, TN
- Duration: 2:35
- Google Maps URL:
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- I-40 East
- I-81 North and go 56
- I-26 East (exit 57A) and go 15.5
- US-321 North (exit 24) and go 4.5
- R on TN-362 South and go 0.2
- R on Gap Creek Rd and go 8.2
- R on US-19E South and go 10.2
- R on TN-143 South and go 12.6
- Park after crossing state line into NC
- Last McDonalds: Exits 13, 19, 23 along I-26 between I-81 and US-321.
- Penultimate McDonalds: Exit 23 on I-81 between Knoxville and Kingsport.
- Duration: 2.4 miles, 1:30 up and 1:10 down (actual times in 2015, first summit of the day)
- Follow the AT east from parking at the state line
- Cross 2 peaks before you get there
- At about 2 miles, the trail forks and the AT bears left and downhill and the trail to Grassy Ridge Bald bears right and uphill to ascend to the summit.
- Trailhead altitude: 5510 @ 36.1064, -82.1104
- Summit altitude: 6180 @ 36.0998, -82.0804
- Hang antenna from tree: Few trees on top. Some off-summit in the activation zone.
- Space to guy mast: yes
- Cell coverage: 2015: ATT yes, VZn intermittent, ATT had data service
- Unique features: Beautiful hike.