Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide - Gooch Mtn
Drive Guide - Gooch Mountain from ATLANTA
- Atlanta to Gooch: 1:30
- Gooch to Sassafras: 0:15
- Google Maps from Atlanta (33.91998, -84.33898): http://goo.gl/maps/mwC2c
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Most of Coopers Gap Rd is dirt; easy drive in a Corolla; no gates.
- WARNING: Take the route shown below
- Google Maps for cell phone routed me via Bus. US-19, Black Mtn Rd to Grassy Gap Rd.
- Grassy Gap Rd becomes 4WD and I had to back out.
- GA-400/US-19 N, and go 47 miles
- L on US-19, and go 5.1
- R on GA-9 and go 8.0
- Keep L onto GA-60 and go 6.9
- L on Cooper Gap Rd (across from small lake, onto paved road w/street sign) and go 3.3
- L fork at 1.6 (stay on Cooper Gap Rd)
- Pavement ends at 2.0.
- Continue past AT crossing
- Stop at 34.64775, -84.03514, 3.3 miles since leaving GA-60.
- You’ll park at a valley/gulley, just before a buried-fiber post on the left.
- —- To continue to Sassafras Mtn for double-header (drive time = 15 minutes)
- SW (continue) on Cooper Gap Rd. Go 0.1
- R fork, and go 5.2
- You get to Woody Gap for Black Mtn and Big Cedar Mtn by heading back out the way you came.
- Last McDonalds: Dahlonega
- Penultimate McDonalds: Hwy 53, Dawsonville, just north of Cumming
- Duration: 0.5 miles bushwhack, 0:30 up, 0:20 down
- Park on roadside at 34.64775, -84.03514. Altitude = 2969.
- Bushwhack west, up to the ridge on your right.
- You’ll follow the gully/valley up to the saddle.
- Follow ridge from the saddle to the north to the summit.
- Summit altitude: 3333
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 34.64775, -84.03514
- Summit: 34.6509, -84.0382
- Maidenhead grid: EM74xp
- Hang antenna from tree: yes
- Space to guy mast: Yes, but not to lay it out flat first
- Cell coverage: AT&T=good 2016, Vzn=good 2015, APRS=good 2015
- Black Mtn & Big Cedar Mtn & Sassafras Mtn