Buzzard Knob: Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide
Note: Buzzard Knob is also accessible via Charlies Creek Rd and Blue Ridge Gap. See my Hightower Bald guide for access to Blue Ridge Gap via Charlies Creek Rd.
Drive Guide - Buzzard Knob and Little Bald Knob Double-header
- Duration: 2:00
- Google Maps URL from Ashford Dunwoody Rd and I-285 at 33.91998, -84.33898: http://goo.gl/maps/9CYiQ
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Paved road all the way. Parking may be a problem on weekends.
- I-85 N
- I-985/US-23 N and go 75.5
- In Clayton, L on US-76/GA-2 and go 16
- Paved Parking on R
- Last McDonalds: Clayton
- Penultimate McDonalds: Cornelia, on Level Grove Rd.
- It comes just BEFORE Cornelia and your exit to US-441.
- You cannot reach Cowart Gap via Mr. Bert Road in a passenger vehicle. You may be able to reach it via ATV. Road becomes a wide trail by the time it reaches Cowart Gap.
- Durations (Buzzard, then Little Bald 2013): 3:00 - 3.5 Miles total, but it includes significant bushwhack.
- 2:30 - 3.3 miles, Dicks Creek Gap to Buzzard Knob. 1100’ total climb + 400’ dip to Cowart Gap. Medium-difficulty bushwhack in summer.
- 2:00 - 2.1 miles, Buzzard Knob to Little Bald Knob. Cowart Gap to summit is 3/4 mile and 500’ climb. Tough bushwhack in summer.
- Durations (Little Bald, then Buzzard 2014):
- 1:15 - Parking to Little Bald
- 1:30 - On summit, Little Bald Knob
- 1:45 - Little Bald Knob to Buzzard Knob
- 1:15 - On summit, Buzzard Knob
- 1:50 - Buzzard Knob to parking
- Note: This was so fast that I hurt a lot afterward. Take more rest breaks and don’t push so hard the next time.
- Follow the AT blazes.
- Bushwhack to Buzzard from N34.93261 W83.60191
- Bushwhack to Little Bald from N34.91090 W83.60449 or N34.91260 W83.60179 and I don’t like either one.
- I went up from the second and down to the first in September 2013. Miserable.
- I went up from the first and down from the second in January 2014. Hike up the hill was strenuous, but bushwhack was easier with winter die-off. The bushwhack down wasn’t too bad.
- Trailhead altitude: 2675’ at Dicks Creek Gap
- Summit altitude:
- Little Bald Knob: 3460’
- Buzzard Knob: 3740’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Dicks Creek Gap Trailhead: 34.91201, -83.61855
- Little Bald Knob: 34.9133, -83.6041
- Buzzard Knob: 34.9335, -83.6025
- Hang antenna from tree: Heavy vegetation makes it challenging.
- Space to guy mast: Heavy vegetation makes it challenging.
- Cell coverage: Good. AT&T had 3G internet. VZN SMS good. No APRS msgs or beacons worked.
Scouting After Hike
- Scout the drive to Rock Mtn (NG-024) via Finney Creek Rd. You can’t get there via Courthouse Gap Rd because it becomes a private road near its start.