Blood Mountain: Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide
Drive Guide - Blood Mountain (W4G/NG-004)
- Duration: 1:35 (based on experience)
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta (33.91998, -84.33898): http://goo.gl/maps/ESfYO
- Seasonal/Limited Access: All seasons, all weather roads.
- N on GA-400 from I-285 for 47 miles
- L on US-19 N and follow for 26.2
- 0.5 past Walasi-Yi, L into Byron Herbert Reece Memorial Parking area (38 spaces)
- Parking demand may exceed spaces. At 1:30 PM on a Saturday in 2013, there were 3 spaces available when I arrived; one car was parked illegally – evidence that the lot had been full earlier.
- Parking way exceeded capacity (and there were people waiting in line) on Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
- Last McDonalds: 35 Mountain Dr, Dahlonega GA (you go right past it)
- Penultimate McDonalds: GA-400 at GA-53 (38 miles north of I-285)
- Dinner: Smokin’ Gold Barbecue - 59 East Main St, Dahlonega, GA.
- Duration: 2.2 miles. 1:55 up; 1:30 down; (1:35 from summit to Walasi-Yi)
- Follow obvious trail from parking area 0.7 miles (and 400’ up)
- R on AT and follow blazes for 1.5
- Water: If you need water, there is a spigot under the bay window on the right side (facing the front door) of Walasi-Yi. The outfitter permits hiker use.
- Trailhead altitude: 3025’
- Summit altitude: 4460’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Trailhead: 34.74212, -83.92272
- Summit: 34.7398, -83.937
- Hang antenna from tree: Not on top of the summit; possible within activation zone.
- Space to guy mast: Not on top of the summit; possible within activation zone.
- Cell coverage:
- 2013: Verizon SMS worked on 3 of 4 tries; AT&T SMS didn’t work on 2 of 2 despite 2-3 bars; AT&T data didn’t work; APRS messaging worked well
- 2014: Verizon SMS worked quickly on 2 of 2 uses
- KI4SVM reported AT&T, Verizon, and APRS success
- Unique features:
- Old AT shelter at summit
- Walasi-Yi center near trailhead sells provisions
- The area is very popular. Don’t expect privacy.
- Levelland Mountain - Opposite direction on AT at Walasi-Yi
- Akin Mtn