Drive to Trailhead & Trail Guide - Black Mountain
Drive Guide - Black Mountain (W4G/NG-022)
- Duration: 1:20
- Google Maps URL from Atlanta: http://tinyurl.com/woody-gap
- Seasonal/Limited Access:
- Paved road all the way. Parking may be full on weekend.
- GA-400/US-19 N and go 47 miles.
- L on GA-60/US-19 and go 5.1
- R on GA-9 and go 8.0
- Straight on GA-60 and go 5.4
- Park at Woody Gap parking lot. Black Mtn trailhead is 200 yards NW on GA-60 (continuing in direction of drive). Google Maps shows the Black Mountain dirt road incorrectly!
- Last McDonalds: Dahlonega
- Penultimate McDonalds: Hwy 53, Dawsonville - 38 miles from I-285
- Barbecue - After activating, take GA-60 south to US-19 south, go 7.2 on US-19, R on East Main Street (US-19 biz), follow East Main Street into town. Smokin’ Gold
Trail Guide - Black Mountain
- Black Mtn: 1.1 miles, 0:40 up; 0:25 down
- From Woody Gap AT parking, walk NW on GA-60 ~200 yds.
- L onto gated FS Rd. Follow dirt road to summit with fire/antenna tower.
- Trailhead altitude: 3173’ at Woody Gap; 3128’ at entrance to FS road.
- Summit altitude: Black Mtn: 3740’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Gated FS Rd at 34.67924, -84.00232
- Black Mtn Summit: 34.6749, -84.0061
- Woody Gap: 34.67763, -84.00031
- Maidenhead Grid: EM84hv
Summit Guide - Black Mountain
- Hang antenna from tree: Yes
- Space to guy mast: Yes
- Cell coverage: AT&T=good; Verizon=good; APRS=yes
- Gooch Mtn & Sassafras Mtn, Blood Mountain, Levelland Mountain, Big Cedar Mountain