SOTA Guide - Big Cedar Mtn, W4G/NG-023
Drive Guide - Big Cedar
- Duration: 1:20
- Google Maps URL from Ashford Dunwoody Rd: http://tinyurl.com/woody-gap
- Seasonal/Limited Access: Paved road. Parking full weekend P.M. Room @8:45 Sat, Aug 24.
- GA-400/US-19 N and go 47 miles.
- L on GA-60/US-19 and go 5.1
- R on GA-9 and go 8.0
- Straight on GA-60 and go 5.4
- Park at Woody Gap AT trailhead
- Last McD: Dahlonega. Side-trip, adds 10 minutes. 35 minutes from trailhead. Useful if GA-53 McD is closed.
- Prior McD: Hwy 53, Dawsonville - 38 miles from I-285. 40 min. from home and 40 mi. from trailhead.
Trail Guide - Big Cedar
- Duration: Big Cedar: 0:55 up, 0:35 down; 1.4 miles, 548’ climb
- Navigation: Big Cedar trail leaves the parking area past latrines. NE on AT, 1 mile, climbing 530’.
- Trailhead altitude: 3173’ at Woody Gap
- Summit altitude: Big Cedar Mtn: 3721’
- GPS tracks/waypoints:
- Woody Gap: 34.67763, -84.00031
- Big Cedar Mtn Summit: 34.689, -83.9922
- Maidenhead Grid: EM84aq
Summit Guide - Big Cedar
- I think I got a little poison ivy here in June of 2020. Lots of big ants.
- Hang antenna from tree: yes; Space to guy mast: yes
- Cell coverage: AT&T=yes, Verizon=yes, APRS=yes
- Features: Nice view a few tenths before the summit
- Gooch Mtn, Sassafras Mtn, Blood Mountain, Levelland Mountain, Black Mountain